Instagram is rapidly gaining popularity among the social media users around the globe. With its rising number of users, Instagram will gradually make it to the most popularly used social media sites.
Instagram is a means of connecting people from around the globe in a virtual community where everyone can freely share their thoughts, feelings and experiences. If you are not already an active Instagram user, it is about time to make your account too. To help you through the process, consult the following step by step guide and gain popularity through the platform.
Step 1: set up your Instagram account
- Download the application : You will find the application in the device’s app marketplace. Once you have downloaded the application, open it by clicking on its icon.
- Create your account: To do this, click the ‘sign up’ option at the bottom of the screen. Here, add the username you want to use, a password and your phone number. Once this is done, you will have the option to set up your profile. You should also add a bit about yourself in the ‘About’ section. If you already have an account, you need to sign up when the application opens.
- Select friends you want to follow: You will now have the opportunity of finding friends from your contact list, Twitter or Facebook accounts. You can also manually search for accounts of your friends. To do this, you also need to provide Instagram your account information. Once you have found your friends, you can follow them by selecting the ‘follow’ option. Doing this will allow you to see their posts on your ‘Home’ page. You can also add and follow friends later.
- You can then proceed to your ‘home’ page
Step 2: using Instagram tabs
- Use the home tab at the bottom of the screen: Over here, you will see posts from the people you follow. You can select the ‘+’ icon in the top left corner to add anything to your story. Your story will be visible to all your followers. The delta symbol in the top right corner of the home page will show all direct messages you have received.
- Use the magnifying glass icon at the bottom of the screen: This icon will lead you to the search page. You can look up keywords or accounts by typing the ‘search’ bar. Celebrity Instagram Stories will appear automatically below the ‘Search’ bar.
- Use the heart icon to see your activity: All your in-application notifications, such as likes to your posts, will appear over here.
- Use the account icon (a person shaped icon) at the bottom of the page: This icon will open up your profile. From here you can add new friends (using the ‘+’ icon), open Instagram options (by clicking the icon with three horizontal bars and then the gear icon), and you can edit your profile, change your profile picture or information (by clicking the ‘edit profile icon’)
- You can return to the ‘Home’ page by clicking the house-shaped icon.
Step 3: posting photos and videos on Instagram
- Select the ‘+’ button at the bottom of the screen to post pictures. These can be from the camera roll –by clicking the library option –or you can take pictures using the in-application camera –photo option – or make a video by selecting the video option.
- Select a photo or video, or post an existing one. To take a photo or make a video form the in-app camera, you need to click the circular button at the bottom. To post an existing photo you need to click on ‘next’.
- You can also edit the photo or video. There are also Instagram filters that you can use. Adding a caption from the ‘write a caption’ box is also possible.
- Use the remaining options as well. You can tag people (‘tag people’ icon) or add a location (‘add location icon’). To add a location, you must have allowed Instagram to access your location services.
- All you need to do now is tap the ‘share’ option in the top right corner of the screen. With that, you will have posted a photo or video on your ‘Home’ page.
Now your Instagram is all set up and you are ready to use your profile as a proficient Instagram user.